Thursday, January 12, 2012

My favorite:Laksa

Have you ever heard or eaten peranakan food or nyonya food? Today I’d like to tell you about some knowledge about peranakan food or nyonya food, one of my favorite peranakan dish, and where I have been to eat peranakan food.



Nyonya cuisine was created by Peranakans. Peranakans are descendants of early Chinese migrants who settled in Penang, Malacca, Indonesia and Singapore, inter-marrying with local Malays. Nyonya cuisine is mainly mixed Chinese and Malay ingredients and cooking techniques with spices used by the Malay/Indonesian community. The food is tangy, aromatic, spicy and herbal.


Penang asam laksa is one of my favorite nyonya food. Laksa is a popular spicy noodle soup from the Peranakan culture, which is a mixture of Chinese and Malay elements found in Malaysia and Singapore, and to a lesser extent Indonesia. First time that I have eaten laksa is when I lived in Penang, Malaysia about four years ago on summer vacation. I usually went to eat laksa every week with my friends. Laksa makes me feel of a new taste. In my first time, I think it like a blend of khanam chin namya pak tai (ขนมจีนน้ำยาปักษ์ใต้) and Kaeng Tai Pla (แกงไตปลา). After that whenever and wherever I go to Malaysia, I always go to the nyonya reatuarant and order for penang laksa. So if you have a chance to visit Malaysia don’t miss to try laksa.


From my lastest trip to Malaysia, october 2011, I had tried eating laksa in food court at central markat in Kuala Lumpur(KL). Central Market is located at Jalan Hang Kasturi, a few minutes away from Petaling Street. Or you can take the train to Pasar seni station and take a few walk to central market. At central market is worth for visit because you can enjoy eating a new menu, shop the souvenir and learn through art gallery.

Last, in my point of view, laksa at central market is quite delicious but I prefer laksa in Penang. The food court or restaurant there is look clean and comfortable. The location of the market is easy to reach. By the way, I have some useful Bahasa Malay vocabularies for you to.


I LOVE: MALAYSIA TRUELY ASIA.



  • 1=satu ซาตู



  • 2=dua ดูวอ



  • 3=tiga ตีกา



  • 4=empat อัมปัท



  • 5=lima ลีมา



  • 6=enam อะนัม



  • 7=tujuh ตูโย๊ะ



  • 8=lapan ลาปัน



  • 9=Sembilan ซัมบิลัน



  • 10=sepuluh ซาปูโล๊ะ



  • meat=daging ดากิง



  • chicken=ayam อะยัม



  • fish=ikan อีกัน



  • shrimp=udang อูดัง



  • rice=nasi putih นาสิ ปูเตะห์



  • coffee=kopi โกปี้



  • tea=teh แตห์



  • water=air อะเยอร์



  • hot=panas ปานาส



  • cool=sejuk ซะโจ๊ก

5 comments:

  1. wow! you've been to KL. i've though of going there once but i went to Koh lipe instead.
    if i have a chance to go there, i'll try nyonya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Koh Lipe is still natural but the food and accomodation there is quite expensive. Malaysia is easy to travel. Let's gp there

      Delete
  2. It looks good but it's so far, if i have a chance to go to Malaysia, I'll go Penang to try it. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both Penang and KL are great but Malacca is very interested too.

      Delete
  3. Sounds interesting.
    Thanks for sharing your nice experience in Malaysia.
    I love the vocabularies at the last. :)

    ReplyDelete